Kamis, 23 Juli 2020

China orders closure of US consulate in Chengdu - The Straits Times

BEIJING - China ordered the closure of the United States’ consulate in Chengdu  on Friday (July 24) in retaliation for the shutting of the Chinese consulate in Houston, Texas.

“On the morning of July 24, 2020, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China notified the US Embassy in China that China has decided to revoke the licence for the establishment and operation of the US Consulate General in Chengdu and put forward specific requirements for the Consulate General to stop all business and activities,” the Chinese foreign ministry said in a statement.

The move is a “legitimate and necessary response” to “unreasonable” US actions, the statement said, blaming the Americans for the current state of affairs.

There were no details on how long the diplomats have to vacate the premises. 

Bilateral ties are at their worst state in years, with the world’s two largest economies at odds over a range of issues including trade, espionage and China’s handling of the coronavirus  pandemic. 

Washington had on Tuesday  ordered the closure of China’s Houston consulate, citing a need to protect American intellectual property and intelligence, and calling the mission the “epicentre” of China’s military-backed industrial espionage efforts. 

Shortly after the ordered closure, witnesses in Houston saw documents getting torched in open bins in the consulate compound. 

Chinese diplomats   were  given 72-hours – until Friday afternoon US time – to vacate the premises. 

Beijing’s retaliatory announcement comes just hours after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on Chinese people and “free nations of the world” to change the behaviour of the Chinese Communist Party, in a major policy speech. 

“The free world must triumph over this new tyranny,” he said.  “If the free world doesn’t change Communist China, Communist China will surely change us.”

It is one of the Trump administration’s most sweeping indictments of the Chinese government, and caps a series of speeches in recent weeks from senior US officials highlighting the imbalanced relationship between the world’s two largest economies. 

In a post-speech discussion, Mr Pompeo acknowledged  that  he was asking countries to pick a side, but said countries which stood up to China could rely on America to be there for them.

“I think about picking a side differently than picking America or picking China. The division... is between freedom and tyranny. 

“That’s the decision we’re asking each of these nations to make,” he said.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiW2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnN0cmFpdHN0aW1lcy5jb20vYXNpYS9lYXN0LWFzaWEvY2hpbmEtb3JkZXJzLWNsb3N1cmUtb2YtdXMtY29uc3VsYXRlLWluLWNoZW5nZHXSAQA?oc=5

2020-07-24 04:13:34Z
52780942128508

Pompeo urges more assertive approach to 'Frankenstein' China - CNA

WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo took fresh aim at China on Thursday (Jul 23) and said the United States and its allies must use "more creative and assertive ways" to press the Chinese Communist Party to change its ways, calling it the "mission of our time."

Speaking at the Nixon Library in President Richard Nixon's birthplace in Yorba Linda, California, Pompeo said the former US leader's worry about what he had done by opening the world to China's Communist Party in the 1970s had been prophetic.

"President Nixon once said he feared he had created a “Frankenstein” by opening the world to the CCP," Pompeo said. "And here we are."

Nixon, who died in 1994 and was president from 1969-74 opened the way for the establishment of US diplomatic relations with Communist China in 1979 through a series of contacts, including a visit to Beijing in 1972.

In a major speech delivered after Washington's surprise order this week for China to close its Houston consulate, Pompeo repeated frequently levelled US charges about Beijing's unfair trade practices, human rights abuses and efforts to infiltrate American society.

He said China's military had became "stronger and more menacing" and the approach to China should be "distrust and verify," adapting President Ronald Reagan's "trust but verify" mantra about the Soviet Union in the 1980s.

READ: China says closure of Houston consulate has harmed relations, warns it must retaliate

"The kind of engagement we have been pursuing has not brought the kind of change inside of China that President Nixon hoped to induce," Pompeo said.

"The truth is that our policies - and those of other free nations - resurrected China’s failing economy, only to see Beijing bite the international hands that were feeding it," he said.

"We, the freedom-loving nations of the world must induce China to change ... in more creative and assertive ways, because Beijing’s actions threaten our people and our prosperity," Pompeo said, adding: "If the free world doesn't change, Communist China will surely change us."

Pompeo said "securing our freedoms from the Chinese Communist Party is the mission of our time," and said America was perfectly positioned to lead it.

He said one NATO ally, which he did not name, was unwilling to stand up for freedom on Hong Kong because it feared restricted access to China's market.

LOW POINT

Pompeo's speech comes at a time when US-China relations have dipped to their lowest point in decades and President Donald Trump and his Democratic challenger Joe Biden have appeared to compete with each other over who can appear toughest towards Beijing ahead of the Nov 3 presidential election.

Ties have deteriorated over issues ranging from the novel coronavirus pandemic, which began in China, to Beijing trade and business practices, its territorial claims in the South China Sea and its clampdown on Hong Kong.

In a dramatic escalation, Washington on Tuesday gave China 72 hours to close the consulate amid allegations of widespread spying.

Pompeo said the consulate had been "a hub of spying and intellectual property theft."

China said the US move had "severely harmed" relations and warned it "must" retaliate, without detailing what it would do.

READ: US diplomats head to China despite row over Houston consulate

The South China Morning Post reported that China may close the US consulate in the southwestern city of Chengdu, while a source told Reuters on Wednesday that China was considering shutting the consulate in Wuhan, where the United States withdrew staff at the start of the coronavirus outbreak.

Hu Xijin, editor of China's Global Times tabloid, posted on Twitter: "Based on what I know, China will announce countermeasure on Friday Beijing time. One US consulate in China will be asked to close."

He had said earlier that shutting the Wuhan consulate would be insufficiently disruptive and suggested China could cut US staff at its large consulate in Hong Kong, which he described as an "intelligence centre."

"This will make Washington suffer much pain," he wrote.

The other US consulates in China are in Guangzhou, Shanghai and Shenyang.

China has four other consulates in the United States - in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York - as well as an embassy in Washington.

Trump said in answer to a question at a news briefing on Wednesday it was "always possible" other Chinese missions could be closed too.

READ: US prosecutors say Chinese researcher is evading arrest in San Francisco consulate

Richard Grenell, special presidential envoy for Serbia and Kosovo who served until recently as acting director of US national intelligence, told Reuters the US strategy was "very much start with one and move on to others if need be."

"The whole goal is to change the behavior of the Chinese ... this is emerging as the Trump doctrine, which is very harsh actions, sanctions and isolation while at the same time always offering a chance to exit if the behavior changes."

Chinese state media editorials said the US move against the Houston consulate was an attempt to blame Beijing for US failures ahead of Trump's reelection bid. Opinion polls have shown Trump trailing Biden. 

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMibmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy93b3JsZC9wb21wZW8tdXJnZXMtbW9yZS1hc3NlcnRpdmUtYXBwcm9hY2gtdG8tZnJhbmtlbnN0ZWluLWNoaW5hLTEyOTU5MjQ00gEA?oc=5

2020-07-23 23:01:16Z
52780946115364

WHO chief denounces 'unacceptable' comments questioning his independence - CNA

GENEVA: The head of the World Health Organization said on Thursday (Jul 23) that reported comments by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo questioning his independence were untrue and would not distract the organisation from its work in fighting the coronavirus.

Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has come under criticism, especially from US President Donald Trump and Pompeo, who have accused him of being pro-China.

"And the comments are untrue and unacceptable and without any foundation, for that matter," Tedros said in response to a question at a Geneva briefing about remarks by Pompeo reported in London on Tuesday.

"Our sole focus - and the focus of the entire organisation - is on saving lives.

"And WHO will not be distracted by these comments. We don't want the international community also to be distracted."

A WHO advance team has been in China for nearly two weeks, organising a WHO-led international mission to investigate the origins of the virus. Scientists believe it emerged in a food market in the central city of Wuhan late last year.

"We are already beginning to reach out to experts at the international level to see who will be available and most appropriate to be able to support an international mission in the coming weeks," Dr Mike Ryan, WHO's top emergencies expert, said.

Tedros said the WHO was seeing intense transmission of the coronavirus in relatively few countries.

"Two-thirds of all cases are from 10 countries. Almost half of all cases reported so far are from just three countries," he said, referring to the United States, Brazil and India.

Worldwide, more than 15 million cases and nearly 620,000 deaths have been reported, he said.

Recorded US coronavirus infections exceeded 4 million on Thursday, with more than 2,600 new ones every hour on average, the highest rate in the world, according to a Reuters tally.

Infections in the United States have rapidly accelerated since the first COVID-19 case was detected on Jan 21. It took the country 98 days to reach 1 million cases. It took another 43 days to reach 2 million and then 27 days to reach 3 million.

It has only taken 16 days to reach 4 million at a rate of 43 new cases a minute.

Tedros said that just because cases may be at a low level where someone lives, it doesn't mean they should let down their guard.

"Know your situation - do you know how many cases were reported where you live yesterday? Do you know how to find that information? Do you know how to minimise your exposure?"

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiZGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy93b3JsZC93aG8tY2hpZWYtdGVkcm9zLWRlbm91bmNlcy11bmFjY2VwdGFibGUtY29tbWVudHMtMTI5NTg0NzjSAQA?oc=5

2020-07-23 22:29:54Z
52780946115364

COVID-19: Singapore working with Japan to resume essential travel - CNA

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

  1. COVID-19: Singapore working with Japan to resume essential travel  CNA
  2. Coronavirus: Singapore and Japan will work towards resuming essential travel  The Straits Times
  3. Singapore will 'work closely' with Japan to make progress on resuming essential travel: MFA  CNA
  4. View Full coverage on Google News

https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiK2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnlvdXR1YmUuY29tL3dhdGNoP3Y9d2YtRi1UYW92djDSAQA?oc=5

2020-07-23 15:37:32Z
52780946190079

Coronavirus: Leisure travel not happening any time soon as countries continue to play safe, say experts - The Straits Times

SINGAPORE - No recreational travel is likely this year or early next year as countries that are still knee-deep in the Covid-19 pandemic continue to play it safe and keep tourists away.

Speaking at the The Straits Times Covid-19 Webinar, Professor Teo Yik Ying, dean of the National University of Singapore Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, said: "When we (travel), we end up being exposed to many different factors that are beyond our control."

He noted that Covid-19 transmission could happen on the plane, at the hotel or at local tourist attractions.

Citing the example of Australia, he said the country had almost eliminated its Covid-19 cases last month but has now reported fresh outbreaks in Melbourne and New South Wales.

"If we look at what's happening in Hong Kong and Australia right now, the situation changed very quickly within a matter of two to four weeks.

"So, when it comes to mass market tourism, regrettably, I think we will not be able to travel out of Singapore for the foreseeable future," Prof Teo added.

He suggested taking a staycation on Pulau Ubin or Sentosa instead.

His comments come a few days after National Development Minister Lawrence Wong said leisure travel was unlikely this year, although essential business travel was possible.

Last Friday (July 17), Mr Wong, who co-chairs the multi-ministry task force tackling Covid-19, said it was unlikely that the infection worldwide will disappear by the end of the year; making travel risky.

But negotiations with countries on reciprocal green lane arrangements will continue, to allow for essential business travel as long as mutual control measures are in place.

Weighing in on the discussion during the webinar, Professor Dale Fisher, a senior infectious diseases consultant at the National University Hospital, noted that theoretically, leisure travel is possible between like-minded countries.

The key is trust in each other's health systems and processes, as well as the management and containment of Covid-19 cases.

Prof Fisher said: "For instance, we would be comfortable with China because as soon as they get a case, they will lock down the whole area, swab everyone within a certain radius, and we could be comfortable that China is not going to send any potential Covid-19 cases to Singapore."

Related Stories: 

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMif2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnN0cmFpdHN0aW1lcy5jb20vc2luZ2Fwb3JlL2Nvcm9uYXZpcnVzLWxlaXN1cmUtdHJhdmVsLW5vdC1oYXBwZW5pbmctYW55dGltZS1zb29uLWFzLWNvdW50cmllcy1jb250aW51ZS10by1wbGF5LXNhZmXSAQA?oc=5

2020-07-23 13:39:43Z
CBMif2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnN0cmFpdHN0aW1lcy5jb20vc2luZ2Fwb3JlL2Nvcm9uYXZpcnVzLWxlaXN1cmUtdHJhdmVsLW5vdC1oYXBwZW5pbmctYW55dGltZS1zb29uLWFzLWNvdW50cmllcy1jb250aW51ZS10by1wbGF5LXNhZmXSAQA

Government has no intention of restricting individuals' freedoms on social media, says Malaysia's multimedia minister - CNA

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian government has no intention of restricting individuals’ freedoms on social media, said Minister for Communication and Multimedia Saifuddin Abdullah, following backlash against his earlier response in parliament that all film producers must apply for a licence prior to production.

In a media statement released on Thursday evening (Jul 23), the minister said that reports on his remarks had given an "inaccurate impression" and imparted a different meaning from his intended answer.

READ: All filming in Malaysia, even for social media requires a licence - Multimedia minister

“When answering, I only explained regarding current laws, which is the National Film Development Corporation (FINAS) Act, which was passed by parliament in 1981,” said Mr Saifuddin.

“It needs to be stressed that the Perikatan Nasional government has never, and has no intent, to use this Act to restrict individuals’ private freedoms on social media, which was a phenomenon which did not exist when the Act was enacted,” he said.

Earlier in the day, Mr Saifuddin had said that all film production, whether for mainstream media broadcast or personal social media, required a licence from the government agency regulating the film industry.

READ: COVID-19 - Face masks compulsory in Malaysia's crowded public spaces, transportation from Aug 1

He was replying in parliament to Kluang MP Wong Shu Qi, who had asked whether it was compulsory for all film producers to apply for a film production licence and a film shooting certificate - regardless of whether they were media agencies or individuals - who were publishing their films on social media or traditional channels. 

Mr Saifuddin's response sparked debate and drew criticism from opposition MPs, who said this would unfairly burden social media users.

According to the licence application guidelines on FINAS' website, applicants have to be registered as owners of a private limited company with a paid-up capital of at least RM50,000 (US$11,778).

In his statement later on Thursday, Mr Saifuddin said that the Act had been used by the previous Pakatan Harapan and Barisan Nasional governments, and that back when it was created, platforms such as TikTok and YouTube did not exist.

The ministry has taken note that the Act needs to be improved, said Mr Saifuddin, and is open to receiving any suggestions in improving not just the FINAS Act, but other legislation under its purview.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiZWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy9hc2lhL21hbGF5c2lhLXNvY2lhbC1tZWRpYS1maWxtLXZpZGVvLWxpY2VuY2Utc2FpZnVkZGluLTEyOTU3OTc40gEA?oc=5

2020-07-23 12:55:45Z
52780944637100

Workers' Party MP Jamus Lim elected as Economic Society of Singapore council member - TODAYonline

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

  1. Workers' Party MP Jamus Lim elected as Economic Society of Singapore council member  TODAYonline
  2. New MP Jamus Lim elected to Economic Society of Singapore's council  The Straits Times
  3. Newly elected MP Jamus Lim among 6 elected to Economic Society of Singapore's council  AsiaOne
  4. Newly elected MP Jamus Lim elected to Economic Society of Singapore's council  AsiaOne
  5. View Full coverage on Google News

https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMicmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnRvZGF5b25saW5lLmNvbS9zaW5nYXBvcmUvd29ya2Vycy1wYXJ0eS1tcC1qYW11cy1saW0tZWxlY3RlZC1lY29ub21pYy1zb2NpZXR5LXNpbmdhcG9yZS1jb3VuY2lsLW1lbWJlctIBAA?oc=5

2020-07-23 09:35:55Z
52780944791416