Rabu, 15 Juli 2020

China vows payback as US scraps Hong Kong's special status - The Straits Times

China and the United States are locked in an ugly showdown after US President Donald Trump revoked Hong Kong's special status and legislated sanctions, bringing further uncertainty to the future of the financial centre still reeling from months of political unrest last year and the current Covid-19 pandemic.

Mr Trump's latest moves were met with swift condemnation from Beijing, which vowed to retaliate and called the actions a "serious violation of international law" and "gross interference" in China's internal affairs.

"The US' attempts to obstruct the implementation of Hong Kong's national security law will never succeed," said a statement by China's Foreign Ministry yesterday.

"In order to safeguard its own legitimate interests, China will make the necessary response and impose sanctions on relevant US personnel and entities."

The US and other liberal democracies have criticised the new Hong Kong national security law that Beijing pushed through just before the 23rd anniversary of the city's handover by the British two weeks ago.

Under the law, anyone charged with subversion, secession, terrorism or collusion with foreign forces to undermine Hong Kong's national security faces up to life in prison.

Before the legislation came into force on July 1, the US already acted to end defence exports and sensitive technology to Hong Kong.

The new Hong Kong Autonomy Act signed into law by Mr Trump on Tuesday targets with sanctions those who implement the Hong Kong security law. It allows the authorities to seize the assets of offending Chinese officials and bar their entry to the US.

"This law gives my administration powerful new tools to hold responsible the individuals and the entities involved in extinguishing Hong Kong's freedom," said Mr Trump at a White House press conference.

"We've all watched what happened. Not a good situation. Their freedom has been taken away. Their rights have been taken away. And with it, goes Hong Kong, in my opinion, because it will no longer be able to compete with free markets."

He also signed an executive order taking away Hong Kong's special trading status with the US, saying Hong Kong will now be treated the same as mainland China.

"No special privileges, no special economic treatment and no export of sensitive technologies."

The extradition deal with Hong Kong and training for its police also come to an end. Licence exceptions for exports to the city will be revoked and officials said it will now be treated like any other city in China.

Since 1992, the US has recognised Hong Kong as a semi-autonomous city with its own legal and economic systems independent of mainland China.

Hong Kong shares ended flat yesterday on news of the punitive moves, with the Hang Seng Index up by 3.69 points, or 0.01 per cent.

Washington has been hardening its stance towards Beijing in recent months over the coronavirus pandemic, Xinjiang, the South China Sea and Hong Kong.

On Tuesday, it issued its toughest position yet on the dispute over the regional waters, declaring China's claims over vast swathes of the sea "completely unlawful", while warning of sanctions.

Yesterday, foreign ministry spokesman Hua Chunying made light of US threats of sanctions, saying that China was not afraid. "If the US insists on making waves, then let the storms become more violent," she said.

Beijing has been fighting fires on several diplomatic fronts in the past week. On Tuesday, Britain decided to ban Chinese tech giant Huawei from its 5G network, drawing sharp rebuke from China, which has accused the United Kingdom of politicising business and technology.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiXmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnN0cmFpdHN0aW1lcy5jb20vYXNpYS9lYXN0LWFzaWEvY2hpbmEtdm93cy1wYXliYWNrLWFzLXVzLXNjcmFwcy1oa3Mtc3BlY2lhbC1zdGF0dXPSAQA?oc=5

2020-07-15 21:00:00Z
52780920993652

US to back nations whose South China Sea claims China violated - CNA

WASHINGTON: The United States will support countries that believe China has violated their territorial claims in the South China Sea, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday (Jul 15) but stressed doing so in multilateral and legal forums.

"We will then go use the tools that we have available and we will support countries all across the world who recognise that China has violated their legal territorial claims as well – or maritime claims as well," Pompeo told reporters. "We will go provide them the assistance we can, whether that’s in multilateral bodies, whether that's in ASEAN, whether that's through legal responses, we will use all the tools we can," he said, referring to the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).

On Monday, Pompeo said the United States would treat Beijing's pursuit of resources in the dispute-rife sea as illegal

It was the latest forceful statement by President Donald Trump's administration to challenge China, which he has increasingly cast as an enemy ahead of November's presidential elections.

A day later, the top US diplomat for East Asia warned of possible sanctions against Chinese officials and companies involved in what Washington describes as coercion in the South China Sea.

READ: US calls China the new East India Company at sea

Earlier on Wednesday, China said it was not afraid of any sanctions the United States might impose on it over the situation in the South China Sea. 

Beijing also accused Washington of stirring up trouble and destabilising the region.

China claims 90 per cent of the potentially energy-rich sea, but Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of it. 

Beijing has built bases on atolls in the region but says its intentions are peaceful.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMicWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy9hc2lhL3VzLXRvLWJhY2stbmF0aW9ucy13aG9zZS1zb3V0aC1jaGluYS1zZWEtY2xhaW1zLWNoaW5hLXZpb2xhdGVkLTEyOTM1NjY40gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 15:51:07Z
52780926029135

China warns UK: 'Dumping' Huawei will cost you - CNA

China warned British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday that his decision to ban Huawei from the 5G network would cost Britain dearly in investment, casting the move as the result of politicised pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump.

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson welcomes U.S. President Donald Trump at the
FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson welcomes U.S. President Donald Trump at the NATO leaders summit in Watford, Britain December 4, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/Pool/File Photo

LONDON/BEIJING: China warned British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday that his decision to ban Huawei from the 5G network would cost Britain dearly in investment, casting the move as the result of politicised pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Hours after Johnson ordered Huawei equipment to be purged from the nascent 5G network by the end of 2027, Trump claimed credit for the decision and said that if countries wanted to do business with the United States they should block Huawei.

But China, whose US$15 trillion economy is five times the size of Britain's, warned the decision would hurt investment as Chinese companies had watched as London "dumped" the national telecoms champion.

"Now I would even say this is not only disappointing - this is disheartening," Chinese Ambassador Liu Xiaoming told the Centre for European Reform, adding that Britain had "simply dumped this company".

"The way you are treating Huawei is being followed very closely by other Chinese businesses, and it will be very difficult for other businesses to have the confidence to have more investment," he said.

As Britain prepares to cast off from the European Union, fears over the security of Huawei have forced New York-born Johnson to take sides in the rivalry between the United States and China.

In Beijing, the foreign ministry cast Britain as "a relatively small place" that was becoming subservient of the United States.

"Does the UK want to maintain its independent status or be reduced to being a vassal of the United States, be the U.S.'s cats paw?" Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said. "The safety of Chinese investment in the UK is being greatly threatened."

CHINESE MONEY

Britain has become increasingly reliant on Chinese imports. Some 9per cent of all goods imported into Britain in 2018 - worth 43 billion pounds (US$54 billion) - came from China, double the proportion from 15 years earlier.

But British companies have also invested increasingly in China. Between 2013 and 2018, they more than doubled their investment position in the world's No.2 economy to 16 billion pounds, according to official British data.

By contrast, Chinese investment in British companies stood at 1.8 billion pounds in 2018 - far below that of the United States, which is the biggest single foreign investor in Britain.

Trump identifies China as the United States' main geopolitical rival, and has accused the Communist Party-ruled state of taking advantage over trade and not telling the truth over the novel coronavirus outbreak, which he calls the "China plague".

Washington and its allies say Huawei technology could be used to spy for China. Huawei has denied this.

"We convinced many countries, many countries - I did this myself for the most part - not to use Huawei, because we think it's an unsafe security risk, it's a big security risk," Trump told reporters in the White House Rose Garden on Tuesday.

"I talked many countries out of using it: if they want to do business with us, they can't use it. Just today, I believe that UK announced that they're not going to be using it."

Britain has said that its ban on Huawei is motivated by its own security concerns and by worries that supplies of Huawei gear could be interrupted by U.S. sanctions.

It denied that Trump alone was responsible for the Huawei ban. Asked about the comments, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "Well, we all know Donald Trump, don't we."

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge in London and Martin Pollard in Beijing; Editing by Michael Holden, Alex Richardson and Peter Graff)

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiZWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy9idXNpbmVzcy9jaGluYS13YXJucy11ay0tLWR1bXBpbmctLWh1YXdlaS13aWxsLWNvc3QteW91LTEyOTM0NDQy0gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 13:18:45Z
52780915210200

China hits out at UK Huawei ban, but some MPs warn it did not go far enough - South China Morning Post

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

  1. China hits out at UK Huawei ban, but some MPs warn it did not go far enough  South China Morning Post
  2. Trump on UK's Huawei ban: 'I did this myself'  CNA
  3. Trump on Britain's Huawei ban: 'I did this myself'  The Straits Times
  4. Britain can’t afford to come over all Sinophobic now – we’re in recession, in the middle of a pandemic  The Independent
  5. The real reason for Boris Johnson's 5G U-turn is down to his increasingly weak 80-seat majority  The Independent
  6. View Full coverage on Google News

https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMic2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnNjbXAuY29tL25ld3MvY2hpbmEvZGlwbG9tYWN5L2FydGljbGUvMzA5MzMxOC9jaGluYS1oaXRzLW91dC11ay1odWF3ZWktYmFuLWJyaXRpc2gtcG9saXRpY2lhbnMtY29tcGxhaW7SAXNodHRwczovL2FtcC5zY21wLmNvbS9uZXdzL2NoaW5hL2RpcGxvbWFjeS9hcnRpY2xlLzMwOTMzMTgvY2hpbmEtaGl0cy1vdXQtdWstaHVhd2VpLWJhbi1icml0aXNoLXBvbGl0aWNpYW5zLWNvbXBsYWlu?oc=5

2020-07-15 13:00:16Z
52780915210200

Good news on Oxford, AstraZeneca's coronavirus vaccine could come on Thursday: Report - The Straits Times

LONDON (REUTERS) - Positive news on initial trials of the University of Oxford's potential Covid-19 vaccine that has been licensed to AstraZeneca could be announced as soon as Thursday (July 16), ITV's political editor Robert Peston said, citing a source.

The project has started Phase III of the human trials to assess how the vaccine works in a large number of people over the age of 18, but has yet to report Phase I trial results.

The developers of the vaccine earlier this month said they were encouraged by the immune response they had seen in trials so far.

"I am hearing there will be positive news soon (perhaps tomorrow) on initial trials of the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine that is backed by AstraZeneca," Mr Peston said in a blog post on Wednesday.

Related Stories: 

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMigAFodHRwczovL3d3dy5zdHJhaXRzdGltZXMuY29tL3dvcmxkL2V1cm9wZS9nb29kLW5ld3Mtb24tb3hmb3JkLXVuaXZlcnNpdHktYXN0cmF6ZW5lY2FzLWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLXZhY2NpbmUtY291bGQtY29tZS1vbi10aHVyc2RhedIBAA?oc=5

2020-07-15 10:51:30Z
52780926192922

Trump on Britain's Huawei ban: 'I did this myself' - The Straits Times

LONDON (REUTERS) - United States President Donald Trump said that he was responsible for British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's decision to ban Huawei from Britain's 5G network from the end of 2027, a remark China said proved London's move was about politics rather than security.

As Britain prepares to cast off from the European Union, fears over the security of Huawei have forced Mr Johnson to take sides in the global rivalry between the United States and China.

Mr Johnson on Tuesday (July 14) ordered Huawei equipment to be purged completely from Britain's 5G network by the end of 2027, risking the ire of China by signalling that the world's biggest telecoms equipment maker was not welcome in the West.

"We convinced many countries, many countries - I did this myself for the most part - not to use Huawei, because we think it's an unsafe security risk, it's a big security risk," Mr Trump told reporters at a news conference in the White House Rose Garden.

"I talked many countries out of using it: If they want to do business with us, they can't use it. Just today, I believe that UK announced that they're not going to be using it."

Mr Trump identifies China as the US' main geopolitical rival, and has accused the Communist Party-ruled state of taking advantage over trade and not telling the truth over the novel coronavirus outbreak, which he has termed the "China plague".

Britain denied that Mr Trump alone was responsible for the Huawei ban, while China said the remark showed the decision was about geopolitics rather than security.

Asked about the comments, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock told Sky News: "Well, we all know Donald Trump don't we."

China was tougher.

"This once again demonstrates that the relevant bans on Huawei are completely unrelated to national security; rather this is highly politicised manipulation," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hua Chunying said in Beijing.

"This once again allows everyone to see clearly the one who is issuing threats here, there and everywhere is perhaps not China but the US," she said.

While Huawei said Mr Johnson's decision would put Britain into the digital slow lane, China said London had sided with Washington to exclude Chinese companies.

"This mistaken decision seriously hurts the interests of Chinese companies and seriously hits the foundation of mutual trust for cooperation between the UK and China," Ms Hua said.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiX2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnN0cmFpdHN0aW1lcy5jb20vd29ybGQvdW5pdGVkLXN0YXRlcy90cnVtcC1vbi1icml0YWlucy1odWF3ZWktYmFuLWktZGlkLXRoaXMtbXlzZWxm0gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 09:58:37Z
52780915210200

Tokyo on highest COVID-19 alert level after new cases - CNA

TOKYO: Tokyo is on its highest coronavirus alert level after a spike in new cases, the city's governor warned on Wednesday (Jul 15), as experts said the rising infections were a clear "red flag".

However, the move to a "red" alert does not mean the city will ask businesses to close or events to be postponed. Even during a national state of emergency in April, there was no lockdown in Japan of the type seen in Europe.

"The experts just told us that the situation of infections is at the fourth level of the four-level system, which means 'the infections seem to be spreading,'" Governor Yuriko Koike said during a meeting on the virus.

Her comments came after a panel of experts said the city was seeing a spike in younger people infected with the virus, with cases in nightlife areas but also workplaces and in families.

READ: Japan traces new coronavirus outbreak to Tokyo theatre boy-band show

"Our assessment is that (we) can't but say this is the red flag, the highest level, if we simply look at numbers," said Norio Ohmagari, an expert on the panel.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe lifted a nationwide state of emergency in late May and appears to have little appetite to reintroduce it, with the economy suffering its first recession since 2015.

But new daily cases have climbed after the state of emergency was removed, reaching a fresh record last week of 243 in Tokyo, the epicentre of the fresh outbreak.

Authorities say many of the new cases come from nightlife entertainment districts in the capital and those infected appear to be people in their 20s and 30s, who are less likely to become seriously ill with the coronavirus.

As of Wednesday, there were only seven people requiring intensive care for coronavirus and authorities have insisted that the medical system is in better shape than at the height of the previous wave in April.

READ: Japan hospitals cut staff bonuses as COVID-19 drives them into the red

And despite the latest outbreak, the situation in Japan remains considerably less serious than in many other comparable countries in terms of population.

Japan has had just over 22,500 cases and close to 1,000 deaths since the disease was first detected in the country. No one has died of coronavirus in Tokyo for three weeks.

Japanese borders remain closed to nationals of more than 100 countries and even foreign permanent residents, but the government is launching a domestic tourism drive that has come under fire over fears it could spread the virus.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our 'comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMia2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy9hc2lhL2NvdmlkLTE5LWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLXRva3lvLWphcGFuLXRvcC1yZWQtYWxlcnQtbmV3LWNhc2VzLTEyOTM0NDQ20gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 06:33:35Z
52780924316853