Rabu, 15 Juli 2020

Good news on Oxford, AstraZeneca's coronavirus vaccine could come on Thursday: Report - The Straits Times

LONDON (REUTERS) - Positive news on initial trials of the University of Oxford's potential Covid-19 vaccine that has been licensed to AstraZeneca could be announced as soon as Thursday (July 16), ITV's political editor Robert Peston said, citing a source.

The project has started Phase III of the human trials to assess how the vaccine works in a large number of people over the age of 18, but has yet to report Phase I trial results.

The developers of the vaccine earlier this month said they were encouraged by the immune response they had seen in trials so far.

"I am hearing there will be positive news soon (perhaps tomorrow) on initial trials of the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine that is backed by AstraZeneca," Mr Peston said in a blog post on Wednesday.

Related Stories: 

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMigAFodHRwczovL3d3dy5zdHJhaXRzdGltZXMuY29tL3dvcmxkL2V1cm9wZS9nb29kLW5ld3Mtb24tb3hmb3JkLXVuaXZlcnNpdHktYXN0cmF6ZW5lY2FzLWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLXZhY2NpbmUtY291bGQtY29tZS1vbi10aHVyc2RhedIBAA?oc=5

2020-07-15 10:51:30Z
52780926192922

Trump on Britain's Huawei ban: 'I did this myself' - The Straits Times

LONDON (REUTERS) - United States President Donald Trump said that he was responsible for British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's decision to ban Huawei from Britain's 5G network from the end of 2027, a remark China said proved London's move was about politics rather than security.

As Britain prepares to cast off from the European Union, fears over the security of Huawei have forced Mr Johnson to take sides in the global rivalry between the United States and China.

Mr Johnson on Tuesday (July 14) ordered Huawei equipment to be purged completely from Britain's 5G network by the end of 2027, risking the ire of China by signalling that the world's biggest telecoms equipment maker was not welcome in the West.

"We convinced many countries, many countries - I did this myself for the most part - not to use Huawei, because we think it's an unsafe security risk, it's a big security risk," Mr Trump told reporters at a news conference in the White House Rose Garden.

"I talked many countries out of using it: If they want to do business with us, they can't use it. Just today, I believe that UK announced that they're not going to be using it."

Mr Trump identifies China as the US' main geopolitical rival, and has accused the Communist Party-ruled state of taking advantage over trade and not telling the truth over the novel coronavirus outbreak, which he has termed the "China plague".

Britain denied that Mr Trump alone was responsible for the Huawei ban, while China said the remark showed the decision was about geopolitics rather than security.

Asked about the comments, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock told Sky News: "Well, we all know Donald Trump don't we."

China was tougher.

"This once again demonstrates that the relevant bans on Huawei are completely unrelated to national security; rather this is highly politicised manipulation," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hua Chunying said in Beijing.

"This once again allows everyone to see clearly the one who is issuing threats here, there and everywhere is perhaps not China but the US," she said.

While Huawei said Mr Johnson's decision would put Britain into the digital slow lane, China said London had sided with Washington to exclude Chinese companies.

"This mistaken decision seriously hurts the interests of Chinese companies and seriously hits the foundation of mutual trust for cooperation between the UK and China," Ms Hua said.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiX2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnN0cmFpdHN0aW1lcy5jb20vd29ybGQvdW5pdGVkLXN0YXRlcy90cnVtcC1vbi1icml0YWlucy1odWF3ZWktYmFuLWktZGlkLXRoaXMtbXlzZWxm0gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 09:58:37Z
52780915210200

Tokyo on highest COVID-19 alert level after new cases - CNA

TOKYO: Tokyo is on its highest coronavirus alert level after a spike in new cases, the city's governor warned on Wednesday (Jul 15), as experts said the rising infections were a clear "red flag".

However, the move to a "red" alert does not mean the city will ask businesses to close or events to be postponed. Even during a national state of emergency in April, there was no lockdown in Japan of the type seen in Europe.

"The experts just told us that the situation of infections is at the fourth level of the four-level system, which means 'the infections seem to be spreading,'" Governor Yuriko Koike said during a meeting on the virus.

Her comments came after a panel of experts said the city was seeing a spike in younger people infected with the virus, with cases in nightlife areas but also workplaces and in families.

READ: Japan traces new coronavirus outbreak to Tokyo theatre boy-band show

"Our assessment is that (we) can't but say this is the red flag, the highest level, if we simply look at numbers," said Norio Ohmagari, an expert on the panel.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe lifted a nationwide state of emergency in late May and appears to have little appetite to reintroduce it, with the economy suffering its first recession since 2015.

But new daily cases have climbed after the state of emergency was removed, reaching a fresh record last week of 243 in Tokyo, the epicentre of the fresh outbreak.

Authorities say many of the new cases come from nightlife entertainment districts in the capital and those infected appear to be people in their 20s and 30s, who are less likely to become seriously ill with the coronavirus.

As of Wednesday, there were only seven people requiring intensive care for coronavirus and authorities have insisted that the medical system is in better shape than at the height of the previous wave in April.

READ: Japan hospitals cut staff bonuses as COVID-19 drives them into the red

And despite the latest outbreak, the situation in Japan remains considerably less serious than in many other comparable countries in terms of population.

Japan has had just over 22,500 cases and close to 1,000 deaths since the disease was first detected in the country. No one has died of coronavirus in Tokyo for three weeks.

Japanese borders remain closed to nationals of more than 100 countries and even foreign permanent residents, but the government is launching a domestic tourism drive that has come under fire over fears it could spread the virus.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our 'comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMia2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy9hc2lhL2NvdmlkLTE5LWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLXRva3lvLWphcGFuLXRvcC1yZWQtYWxlcnQtbmV3LWNhc2VzLTEyOTM0NDQ20gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 06:33:35Z
52780924316853

Selasa, 14 Juli 2020

China vows retaliation against US over Hong Kong sanctions - CNA

BEIJING: China on Wednesday (Jul 15) said it would retaliate after US President Donald Trump signed into law an Act allowing sanctions on banks over Beijing's clampdown on Hong Kong.

The Hong Kong Autonomy Act "maliciously slanders" national security legislation imposed by Beijing on the city, China's foreign ministry said in a statement.

"China will make necessary responses to protect its legitimate interests, and impose sanctions on relevant US personnel and entities," the ministry said.

The foreign ministry also said that Beijing strongly opposes the latest US action and urged Washington to stop interfering in China's internal affairs, state television reported.

"Hong Kong affairs are purely China's internal affairs and no foreign country has the right to interfere," it said.

READ: Majority of US firms in Hong Kong concerned about security law, says Amcham survey

Trump on Tuesday signed a law penalising banks doing business with Chinese officials who implement the new Hong Kong national security law.

"No special privileges, no special economic treatment and no export of sensitive technologies," he said.

Critics of the security law fear it will crush the wide-ranging freedoms promised to Hong Kong when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997, while supporters say it will bring stability to the city after a year of sometimes violent anti-government protests.

The security law punishes what Beijing broadly defines as subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison.

DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD?

Analysts say that completely ending Hong Kong's special treatment could prove self-defeating for the United States.

Hong Kong was the source of the largest bilateral US goods trade surplus last year, at US$26.1 billion, US Census Bureau data shows.

According to the State Department, 85,000 US citizens lived in Hong Kong in 2018 and more than 1,300 U.S. companies operate there, including nearly every major US financial firm.

The territory is a major destination for US legal and accounting services.

READ: Trump says he is 'not interested' in trade talks with China

The United States began eliminating Hong Kong's special status under US law in late June, halting defense exports and restricting the territory's access to high-technology products as China prepared to enact the security legislation.

In May, Trump responded to China's plans for the security law by saying he was initiating a process to eliminate the special economic treatment that has allowed Hong Kong to remain a global financial center.

He stopped short then of calling for an immediate end to privileges, but said the moves would affect the full range of US agreements with Hong Kong, from an extradition treaty to export controls on dual-use technologies.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiZWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy9hc2lhL2NoaW5hLXVzLWhvbmcta29uZy1uYXRpb25hbC1zZWN1cml0eS1sYXctc2FuY3Rpb25zLTEyOTMzNzk00gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 03:57:52Z
52780920993652

Organiser of Hong Kong pro-democracy primaries steps down amid Beijing pressure - CNA

HONG KONG: A key organiser of primary elections for Hong Kong's pro-democracy camp said on Wednesday he was stepping down after Beijing said the vote may violate the new national security law and could amount to subversion.

Former pro-democracy lawmaker Au Nok-hin helped organise the weekend poll that saw more than 610,000 people vote in what was widely seen as a symbolic protest against the sweeping legislation imposed on the city by Beijing.

"Withdrawal is the only choice (I have, to) protect myself and others," Au said in a Facebook post.

The primary polls were aimed at selecting democracy candidates to stand in September elections for the Legislative Council, Hong Kong's governing body.

However, the primaries could violate the new national security law, said Beijing's top office in the city, the Hong Kong Liaison Office, the Chinese government agency Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, and the city's leader Carrie Lam.

READ: China warns some Hong Kong primary campaigning may have broken security law

"For those who do not recognise democracy, or do not agree with democratic values, it is difficult to understand the meaning of the primary election," said Benny Tai, another organiser of the pro-democracy polls.

The new security law punishes what Beijing broadly defines as secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison and sees Chinese intelligence agents operating officially in the city for the first time.

Critics of the law fear it will crush wide-ranging freedoms promised to Hong Kong when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997, while supporters say it will bring stability to the city after a year of sometimes violent anti-government protests.

READ: Hong Kong national security law - 5 key facts you need to know

The primaries saw a group of young democrats, or "localists" perform strongly, reflecting a potential change of guard to a more radical grouping likely to rile authorities in Beijing.

Hong Kong police on Wednesday arrested the vice chairman of the city's Democratic Party, Lo Kin-hei, on charges of unlawful assembly related to anti-government protests in November, he wrote on his Facebook page. He was released on bail.

Hong Kong police said it charged five males aged 21 to 70 with unlawful assembly, without giving names and they will be mentioned in court on Aug 21.

The moves come as US President Donald Trump on Tuesday ordered an end to Hong Kong's special status under US law to punish China for what he called "oppressive actions" against the former British colony.

"Hong Kong will now be treated the same as mainland China," Trump said.

Commentary: China really wants Hong Kong to succeed

China said on Wednesday it would impose retaliatory sanctions on US individuals and entities after Trump signed a law penalising banks doing business with Chinese officials who implement the new Hong Kong national security law.

In another blow to the city's international status, the New York Times said it would shift part of its Hong Kong office to Seoul, as worries grow that security law would curb media and other freedoms in the city.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiWWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNoYW5uZWxuZXdzYXNpYS5jb20vbmV3cy9hc2lhL2hvbmcta29uZy1wcmltYXJ5LWVsZWN0aW9ucy1hdS1ub2staGluLTEyOTMzNzc20gEA?oc=5

2020-07-15 03:33:45Z
52780920993652

Opposition’s primary results could mean tougher action from Beijing - South China Morning Post

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

Opposition’s primary results could mean tougher action from Beijing  South China Morning PostView Full coverage on Google News
https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMieGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnNjbXAuY29tL25ld3MvaG9uZy1rb25nL3BvbGl0aWNzL2FydGljbGUvMzA5MzE4Ni9ob25nLWtvbmctZWxlY3Rpb25zLXRvdWdoZXItYWN0aW9uLWV4cGVjdGVkLWJlaWppbmctYWdhaW5zdNIBeGh0dHBzOi8vYW1wLnNjbXAuY29tL25ld3MvaG9uZy1rb25nL3BvbGl0aWNzL2FydGljbGUvMzA5MzE4Ni9ob25nLWtvbmctZWxlY3Rpb25zLXRvdWdoZXItYWN0aW9uLWV4cGVjdGVkLWJlaWppbmctYWdhaW5zdA?oc=5

2020-07-15 00:00:10Z
CBMieGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnNjbXAuY29tL25ld3MvaG9uZy1rb25nL3BvbGl0aWNzL2FydGljbGUvMzA5MzE4Ni9ob25nLWtvbmctZWxlY3Rpb25zLXRvdWdoZXItYWN0aW9uLWV4cGVjdGVkLWJlaWppbmctYWdhaW5zdNIBeGh0dHBzOi8vYW1wLnNjbXAuY29tL25ld3MvaG9uZy1rb25nL3BvbGl0aWNzL2FydGljbGUvMzA5MzE4Ni9ob25nLWtvbmctZWxlY3Rpb25zLXRvdWdoZXItYWN0aW9uLWV4cGVjdGVkLWJlaWppbmctYWdhaW5zdA

Chinese professionals shocked by 45% China tax rate consider leaving Hong Kong - The Straits Times

HONG KONG (BLOOMBERG) - Fears of a Hong Kong brain drain are increasing after China moved to tax its citizens' global income, undermining the financial hub's appeal to thousands of bankers and other white-collar workers from the mainland.

Faced with a tax rate as high as 45 per cent - up from about 15 per cent previously - Chinese professionals across Hong Kong are considering moving back home to avoid getting squeezed by both the new levy and sky-high living costs in the former British colony, according to interviews with workers and recruiters.

The prospect of an exodus has upended expectations that mainland talent would help offset any outflow of locals and foreign expatriates from Hong Hong, many of whom are looking to escape the city's controversial new national security legislation.

While it's too early to gauge how many people will ultimately move out, professionals of all stripes now have reasons to leave a city that not long ago was viewed as one of the world's most attractive places to build a career. That risks weighing on Hong Kong's battered economy and further undermining its status as a premier financial center.

The focus on China's new tax regime has intensified in recent weeks after state-owned enterprises (SOEs) in Hong Kong told workers who transferred from the mainland to declare their 2019 income so they can start paying taxes at home. Chinese SOEs are also informing employees in other locations such as Singapore, Bloomberg News reported last week.

While Chinese authorities revised the nation's tax rules in January 2019, they only recently disclosed detailed instructions on how to comply - a move that caught many workers off guard.

Some companies may act to soften the blow by boosting salaries, particularly for high-ranking executives, but most employees will likely have to absorb the hit to their take-home pay, according to Feng Ao, president of Wosheng Law Quotient Academy, a consultancy that advises China's banks, insurers and trusts on tax laws."For the vast majority of employees, the chance of giving subsidies and raises depends on the company's profitability," Mr Feng said. "It's unlikely to happen given the global macro environment amid the pandemic."

One senior executive at a Chinese state-owned bank said his tax bills will now probably wipe out the savings he amassed since moving his family to Hong Kong a few years ago. His colleagues have petitioned superiors in Beijing for relief, but have so far failed to gain much traction. Some are considering moving back to China or swapping into a Hong Kong passport if they've lived in the city long enough to qualify, said the banker, who like several people interviewed for this story asked not to be named discussing a sensitive subject.

Hong Kong has granted more than 340,000 immigration visas to people from mainland China over the past five years, government figures show.

Investment bankers in the city typically earn about 25 per cent to 30 per cent more than those in Shanghai, according to recruiters, though much of that extra pay gets whittled away by higher living costs. Hong Kong is the world's sixth-most expensive city for expatriates, compared with 19th for Shanghai and 24th for Beijing, a recent survey by ECA International found.

Some Chinese workers may have little choice but to stick it out in Hong Kong, according to Lee Quane, regional director for Asia at ECA, an advisory firm for expats."There's often a reason why they're working in Hong Kong rather than in mainland China, because it's a better location for them to work in terms of the jobs that they do," Mr Quane said.

Others are hoping they'll stay under the Chinese government's radar. An employee at a major China-backed telecommunications firm said some of her Chinese colleagues who were hired locally are taking a wait-and-see approach and won't declare income voluntarily. Those who relocated from the mainland will likely have their Chinese taxes directly deducted, she said.It's unclear how stringently Chinese authorities will apply the tax laws to citizens who were hired overseas or who don't work for state-owned companies.

China's Liaison Office in Hong Kong and the State Taxation Administration didn't respond to faxes seeking comment.

Donald, an executive at a state-owned Chinese lender in Hong Kong, said his firm is working on a plan to provide interest-free loans or cash payouts to impacted employees, but he doubts the compensation will last beyond a year. Moving back to mainland China has become one of his biggest priorities.

"In a nutshell, my pay is now subject to the high tax rate on the mainland but I need to cover the high cost of living in Hong Kong," he said. "It's a double whammy."

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMie2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnN0cmFpdHN0aW1lcy5jb20vYnVzaW5lc3MvZWNvbm9teS9jaGluZXNlLXByb2Zlc3Npb25hbHMtc2hvY2tlZC1ieS00NS1jaGluYS10YXgtcmF0ZS1jb25zaWRlci1sZWF2aW5nLWhvbmcta29uZ9IBAA?oc=5

2020-07-14 23:42:14Z
52780924913918